As a contemporary monastic community, we have a daily rhythm of prayer. Guests are encouraged to join the Sisters in the Chapel of St. John for Morning and Evening Prayer, Compline (night prayer), and the daily Eucharist. The chapel is also available for private prayer when not in use by a group. Here is our usual weekly schedule. Occasionally times of prayer change for special circumstances. If you want to be sure, phone the Guest House at 416-226-2201 ext. 305.
8:00 Holy Eucharist
12:00 Contemplative Mid-day Office
MONDAYS – Sisters’ Grace Days – No Worship in Chapel
8:30 Morning Prayer
12:00 Holy Eucharist
8:10 Compline (Night Prayer) – Except Saturdays
Calendar of Saints’ Days and Special Observances in our Worship
Homilies & Worship News
Recent homilies are posted to the SSJD Companions blog.
Select homily texts are also posted to a homily blog.
- Give us A Word: a short daily devotional text.
- 3-Minute Retreat: take a short prayer break at your computer
- Sacred Space: pray here and now with the help of scripture and on-screen guidance
- Forward Movement: a daily meditation on a verse, with prayer and daily readings
- The Text This Week: lectionary, scripture study, worship links, art and resources on the Sunday readings
The Sisters have a rich liturgical and musical tradition, which has grown into an eclectic worship style drawing on traditional monastic plainchant, Anglican choral music, new forms of chant (e.g. Taizé, and Iona), contemporary hymn writers (including several of our own sisters), and contemporary worship music. Most of our music is accompanied by piano or organ.
Our organ, engineered and built in 2006 by Halbert Gober of Elora, Ont, is a fully-mechanical tracker-action
|MANUAL I||MANUAL II||PEDAL|
|Principal||8′||Viola da Gamba||8′||Bourdon||16′|