St. John’s Convent is called to be a strong centre of prayer, community, and ministry that nurtures and supports the life of the whole Sisterhood.
As the Community’s mother house (like its headquarters), it is the place where the Reverend Mother has her residence, where the whole Community gathers to celebrate and renew our common life in Christ, and from which our discernment and decision-making flows.
The Convent is the place where we welcome new members for discernment and education, and also where our infirmary offers care to our elderly members, enabling them to remain part of our family life and ministry throughout their lives.
The Sisters’ library, the Associate library, and our archives are housed at the Convent and provide resources for the Community and for visitors.
The Ministry of the Sisters
The ministry of the Sisters at St. John’s Convent includes:
- A Guest House where we welcome individuals for rest, refreshment, and retreat
- Aregular schedule of retreats, quiet days, and workshops
- A place for parish and other groups to meet and share in the focused quiet of the Community’s life
- Availability of Sisters to preach, teach, speak, and lead retreats and quiet days in the Diocese and beyond
- Programs that help people build bridges between our secular culture, the Church, and the monastic tradition
- Discernment programs for those seeking guidance in their life and work, in particular Women at a Crossroads and the Companions Program and Companions Online.
- Spiritual direction provided by the Sisters and others
- Music and liturgical leadership for the Church
- Ecumenical outreach
- Participating on Diocesan and national church committees and leadership teams and providing resources for diocesan and parish events