Built for Living Love






Saint John’s Convent is the mother house of the Sisterhood of St. John the Divine. Saint John’s Convent is called to be a strong centre of prayer, community, and ministry that nurtures and supports the life of the whole Sisterhood.
Located on Cummer Avenue next to St. John’s Rehab Hospital, the Convent was previously located on Major Street in downtown Toronto from 1889 to 1953, and on Botham Road from 1953 until 2005.
As the Community’s mother house, it is the place where the Reverend Mother has her residence. The whole Community gathers here to celebrate and renew the common life in Christ, and it is the centre from which flows discernment and decision-making.
As well, the Convent is the place where the Sisterhood welcomes new members for discernment and education, and the infirmary offers a longterm home for elderly members. This allows all Sisters at all times of life to remain part of the Sisterhood’s family life and ministry.
The Sisters’ library, the Associate’s library, and the archives are housed at the Convent and provide resources for the Community and for visitors. The Convent is also home to the Guest House, which is now a cornerstone of the Sister’s ministry and housed in the original building constructed for Sisters who ministered at St. John’s Rehab Hospital.
Meet our reverend Mothers
Mother Foundress Hannah
(1884-1916)
Mother Dora
(1916-1945)
Mother Aquila
(1945-1970)
Mother Frances Joyce
(1970-1994)
Sister Constance Joanna
(1994-2005)
Sister Elizabeth Ann
(2005-2015)
Sister Elizabeth
(2015-2025)
Sister Elizabeth Ann
(2025-)