Pioneers in health care since 1885, the Sisterhood founded St. John’s Rehab Hospital in 1936 as Ontario’s first hospital focusing on rehabilitation care. Since the amalgamation in 2012 with Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, the Sisters continue to be actively involved at St. John’s.
St. John’s continues the proud tradition of the founding Sisters, with a holistic approach to treating body, mind, and spirit, focused on:
- A community of support built on trust, mutual respect, integrity, teamwork, and partnerships
- Compassionate care centred on empathy and responsiveness
- Personal and corporate accountability for all our actions
- A spirit of learning that contributes new knowledge and skills to continuously improve practice and service
- Communication that is interactive, informative, open, honest, and respectful
The Sisters’ Mission
As a praying community in the midst of the active work of the hospital, we advocate for a vision of healthcare that expresses the Sisters’ mission and values in a multi-faith, multi-cultural setting, and we provide spiritual and pastoral support for all who desire it.
The Sisters, the Chaplain, and many volunteers associated with the Sisters are the spiritual care team. The Sisters are the spiritual care providers, visiting patients and giving listening and caring support. They are members of the multi-disciplinary team on each inpatient floor.
The chapel at St. John’s is always open for patients, staff, visitors, and volunteers. There are regular services offered each week – an ecumenical Morning Prayer service on Sundays, and an Anglican Eucharist on Wednesday afternoons. Roman Catholic communion is offered weekly, and visitors from other faith traditions come regularly as well.
Read about the history of St. John’s Rehab on the Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre website.